To build a NAS (network attached storage) we prefer to use OpenMediaVault, an open, scalable network storage device management system (software NAS) based on Debian Linux.
The choice was made based on extensive experience in Debian administration.. We also consider, that Debian is more popular, than the FreeBSD NAS is based on: FreeNAS, NAS4Free.
- Protocols: CIFS (via Samba), WebDAV, TFTP, FTP, NFS, SSH, rsync, AFP, UPnP, BitTorrent и iTunes.
- Extensions (plugins) for: DLNA, VirtualBox, Docker, MySQL, ClamAV, SVN, Website (nginx), Git, OpenVPN, LDAP, Plex, Emby, rsync server, client and local sync.
- File systems: XFS, JFS and ext2 / ext3 / ext4 full support, NTFS read / recording, FAT32 read support / records.
- Hard disks: P-ATA/S-ATA, SCSI, iSCSI, USB и FireWire.
- GPT / EFI support for hard disk partitions larger than 2 terabytes.
- Network cards: all wired and wireless cards, supported by Debian.
- Booting from hard drive, USB, CompactFlash.
- Hardware RAID: all those, which Debian maintains.
- Software RAID levels: 0,1, 5, 6, JBOD, 5+0, 5+1, 0+1, 1+0, and t. d. (using mdadm).
- Support for formatting 4KB sectors of hard drives using advanced format, such as Western Digital WD10EARS, WD15EARS, WD20EARS.
- S.M.A.R.T support.
- Syslogd Remote Management.
- SNMP monitoring.
- Log notifications and email reports.
- UPS support (uninterruptable power source)